Periodontal or gum disease is an infection of the supporting tissues and bone that hold your teeth in place. The condition mainly affects adults in their 30s and 40s, and is usually caused by poor oral hygiene, smoking, chronic illnesses or genetic susceptibility. Believe it or not, half of Americans have periodontal (gum) disease, according to the American Academy of Periodontology. While mild gum disease can be corrected with proper oral hygiene, like brushing and flossing, severe periodontal disease normally requires more extensive treatment.
However, a new laser-technology, called PerioLase, offers a superior alternative to treating gum disease. According to the American Dental Association, many clinicians choose lasers over traditional treatment because they prefer non-surgical management of periodontal disease. In fact, laser treatment can have your gums healthy again within only a couple of visits. This method utilizes PerioLase technology.
Advantages of PerioLase treatment include:
1.No Incisions – With the use of PerioLase technology, your periodontist will be able to avoid cutting into your gums, which also removes the need for sutures, thus allows a faster recovery.
2. Less discomfort – Most patients find PerioLase to be far less painful – during and after the procedure – than your typical surgery. The procedure is so non-invasive that it only requires local anesthetics (numbing), as opposed to the general anesthetics (sleeping) associated with surgery.
3. Shorter procedure – PerioLase usually takes two, 2-hour visits to complete in addition to two follow-up appointments. Conversely, surgery generally requires four, 1-hour sessions along with subsequent visits for suture removal and additional check-ins.
4. Better results – Studies have shown that periodontal laser treatment creates longer-lasting results. In fact, 98 percent of patients remain stable at least five years after the procedure.
5. Few diet restrictions – A dentist may recommend a soft diet for a couple of days following PerioLase, but in most cases, patients feel comfortable enough to eat anything immediately after the procedure.
6. Short recovery time – Recovery from gum surgery can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks, and often includes considerable swelling and pain. PerioLase’s recovery time is less than 24 hours. Many patients report that they’re able to return to work immediately following the procedure.
7. Safe for all patients – PerioLase treatment is safe for all patients, including those with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as aspirin or Plavix.
The American Dental Association is optimistic about the role of PerioLase technology in the field of dentistry. This treatment is also no more expensive than traditional procedures and is covered by most dental insurance plans. Give us a call to learn more about laser therapy for gum disease management at! Tacoma Phone Number 253-564-1000 & 253-565-4700